The Agenda with Steve Paikin: Judy Rebick: Technocrat Tyranny? (http://ww3.tvo.org/video/175379/judy-rebick-technocrat-tyranny)
tvo (TV Ontario) – March 30, 2012
“The rule of the technocrats: Have democracies given too much control to bureaucrats and policy advisors? Judy Rebick joins Steve Paikin for more.”
- Steve Paikin: Technocrats actually appointed in Greece and Italy to be their prime ministers.
- Judy Rebick: They’re taking us down the same path.
- Very dangerous argument that we need experts rather than a proper democratic process.
- We need more engaged citizens.
- Use of technocrats is “an authoritarian system”. Example: China.
- Let’s reform democracy to make it more responsive to citizens.
- Make politicians more accountable.
- We need more participatory democracy.
- Steve Paikin: Elites are running the show whether political or technocratic.
- Judy Rebick: There can be a pressure of citizens on the political elite but citizens can’t pressure technocratic elites.
- Talks about examples of participatory democracy at the local level where the people decide what they need.
- She says we have to go down this road or we’re on the road to a more authoritarian form of government.